- v1-3: Separation but not divorce
- v4-9: 3rd Servant Song
- v10-11: Trust and Obey the Servant of the Yehweh
- v1: [I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery.] (Jer 3:8). Jeremiah 3:8 tells us that God has divorce the non-dividic northern kingdom because of your adulterous act, but God didn’t divorce the southern kingdom, because of God’s covenant with David. There is why in v1 says [Where is your mother’s certificate of divorce?]. Your mother is referring to the southern kingdom. God didn’t divorce them, however because of their transgression, they are separated from God, temporary.
- v2: [dry up the sea] God dried up the Red Sea (Ex 14:21). [turn rivers into a desert] God opened the river of Jordan by turning it into dry land. (Josh 4:23). [their fish rot for lack of water] God killed the fish in Egypt by turning water into blood (Ex 7:18-21).
- v2: God called the Jews to return from Babylon to Judah, however no one answer. So God reminded them how God redeemed the Jews out of Egypt.
- v4-9: This is the 3rd Servant song. The Suffering Servant of Yahweh is speaking as first person. v4-5 talks about Christ obedience to Yahweh.
- v6: Referring to the suffering of Jesus on the way to calvary but Jesus didn’t run away, or use His power to prevent these suffering.
- v7-9: No matter how much He was mistreated, mocked, and repudiated, Jesus trust the Father will rescue Him, by raising Him on the 3d day!
- v10: This verse transition back to Isaiah. He is calling people to trust and obey the Suffering Servant of Yahweh.
- v11: But those who chose to trust himself instead of trusting Jesus will lie down in torment, they will spend eternity in separation from God, in eternal fire.