Living out Christ in society
- Authorities were created by God (v1, 1 Peters 2:13 – 15)
- Learn to live under under authority because God is ultimate authority, (v1)
- Submitting to the authorities is submitting to God.(v2)
- What occurs when God and man’s authority oppose each other?
- God’s authority always higher than man’s (Act 5:29)
- Daniel and his prayers to God (Daniel 6:13)
- Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego refuse to worship idol (Dan 3:18)
God uses rulers for good as his servants (v4)
- Nebuchenezzar and Cyrus
- Rulers may still do things that displease God.
Disobedience to authority can lead to punishments (physical) or effect our conscience (spiritual)(v5)
- Conscience – (1 Titus 1 : 5, 1 Cor 10:25-29)
- Pay taxes because it is required of everyone. (v6-7)
- Jesus paid taxes
- Jesus submitted to authorities.
Living out Christ in relationships
- Law (the commandments had 2 sections) 1st part was concerning God, the 2nd was concerning man (Luke 10:27)
- Love is fulfillment of the law (v8)
- Loving your neighbor is a commandment summed up by the commandments of God. (v9)
- Jesus fulfilled the law also (Matt 5:17)
Conclusion: Live the kind of life that honors Jesus
- Now is the time to live out the life of Jesus (v11)
- The time of Christ’s return is near, are you ready? (v12)
- How should we live? (v13-14) When people look at us, they should see Jesus.