Key Verses from Chapter 1 to Chapter 6:
1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written. “But the righteous man shall live by faith.”
1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness
1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
2:16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.
3:10 as it is written, “There is none righteous, not even one;”
3:20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.
3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
4:3 For what does the scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ
5:19 For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous
6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection
6:19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Paul has the will to do good but he could not
- The reason was because the law of sin has him under bondage
- Will is the determination/desire (inner power) of man, law is a natural power
- Law is always on, will of man is only on sometimes, eventually man get tire
- sin is not just matter of conduct, sin is a law. When we realize this, victory is not far away
- Eventually law overcomes will, will of man could never overcome law of sin
- “I” is mentioned 31 times
- A higher law can overcome a lower law
- The law of Spirit of live in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death (v2)
- Chapter 5:12 – 6:23: In Adam vs. in Christ (objective, position)
- Chapter 7:1 – 8:39: In the flesh vs. in the Spirit (subjective, practical experience)
- Verse 3 – 4
- Jesus has done for us (v3) – Jesus died for us, and our old self died with Him, thus we no longer live by our flesh
- the Holy Spirit will do for us (v4) – walk according to the Holy Spirit
- works of flesh vs. fruit of Spirit (Gal 5:19,22)
|In flesh||In Spirit|